GCS’s mission is to empower those in need through entrepreneurial opportunity and innovative technology. If you would like to contribute to catalyzing the career of a Rafiki, we encourage a payback system. A micro-loan of $100 is enough to kickstart a Rafiki’s entrepreneurial career. Breaking it down:
- $65 goes towards the consignment of a sample of one of each of our products to help entrepreneurs with their initial marketing
- $20 for training and GCS marketing gear
- $15 for on-going site visits
We will set up the GCS Rafiki with training, marketing materials, and his/her first set of sample products, and send you quarterly reports of the progress of the entrepreneur you sponsored. We aim to help entrepreneurs earn over $60/month, helping them climb out of poverty and returning your loan once the Rafiki has generated $100 in profits for GCS, usually about 2 months after they begin their sales. We do not take the Rafiki’s earnings to return your money; your money will come completely from GCS revenues. GCS will commit to setting up each of these entrepreneurs 3 months after your micro-loan. Please contact us if you would like to get started or to get more details.
Global Cycle Solutions (GCS) is seeking applicants for its 2013 GCS Fellows Program. These positions provide an excellent opportunity for an entrepreneurially minded professional to join a young, vibrant, social enterprise and make a positive impact in the East-African community.
- Fellowship is unpaid and will last 6 – 12 months, depending on the Fellow’s schedule and GCS’s needs
- GCS will provide fellows with transportation to/from Tanzania, a volunteer visa, accommodation (housing and food), and 100% of work-related travel costs
- Fellows will be expected to work Monday – Friday and half days Saturday, and blog about their experiences at least once per month
- Insurance and necessary vaccines for travel to Tanzania will not be provided by GCS
Local collaboration is a core entity of Global Cycle Solutions; therefore, Fellows will undergo a cultural and language immersion program in the first month before joining GCS staff in its offices.
Available Position: Product Development Fellow
Description: GCS is seeking exceptional, analytical, and entrepreneurial Product Development Fellows. The Product Development Fellow will be responsible for improving our current bicycle maize-sheller product and developing one new bicycle peripheral. The fellow would receive support from the GCS team but would be responsible for leading the R&D and product testing.
- Assessing mechanical challenges with GCS Maize Sheller and making improvements
- Product testing, troubleshooting, CAD modeling, and prototyping
- Conducting regular testing in the field to assess effectiveness and sturdiness
- Monitoring and streamlining manufacturing process (including quality control)
- Conducting needs assessment surveys on targe population to identify key product priority
- Planning for production scale-up
- Designing and developing new products
- Providing advice on choice of material and contraints for manufacturing
The ideal candidate will possess the following characteristics:
- Degree-educated: bachelor’s or graduate degree in mechanical engineering
- Experienced: at least 2 years full-time work experience with product design/development, CAD software, or related fields
- Flexible: comfortable living in developing country conditions (frequent power outages, cold showers, mosquito nets…)
- Driven: takes initiative to do what needs to be done, not just what you are told to do
- Resourceful: able to innovate with limited resources and direction
- Entrepreneurial: thrives in a young, small, and fast-paced company
- Sociable: able to engage with people of diverse cultures and personalities
- Compassionate: desires to make Africa a better place for “the bottom of the pyramid”
- Lingual: fluent in English and proficient in (or have a desire to learn) Kiswahili
Help us in our mission of empowering villagers around the world by spreading the word to friends, family, and colleagues.